Monday 29 January 2007

Rings for the Tabernacle

Over the last few months, and quite independently, I have received two enquiries (one from a recent widower, and another from a son whose mother has lately died), asking if it is true that the veil inside the tabernacle of the Cathedral is supported on wedding rings. It is indeed true, and the two rings have arrived, to be added to the 'curtain track' inside the tabernacle.

This is a beautiful and moving gesture, and one deeply indicative of the devotion in which the Blessed Sacrament is held. Behind the bricks and fabric of the Cathedral are countless acts of deep faith such as this, and I shall be delighted, and proud, to make these new additions to our most holy sanctuary.

5 comments:

Fr. Peter said...

I find this a very intersting topic, can you share more about how it started?

Rev. Daren J. Zehnle, J.C.L., K.C.H.S. said...

Truly, a beautiful sign of faith and love. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Mark Langham said...

I've asked the other Chaplains, and no one really knows where it started. There is an old traditon of wedding rings being set into chalices (indeed, I once met a priest who was a widower who had set his wife's ring into his chalice); I have no notion if this is a widespread tradtion, so perhaps others can enlighten.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful act of devotion. I must say, I was quite moved when I read this.

Anonymous said...

i hadn't noticed the candlesicks flanking the tabernacle before. personally, i think they're rather ugly. what are the nobbly bits o them?